Friday 1 August 2008

Jan 17

All during the course, I was kept in bed with a Foley catherator and asked to lie absolutely still without moving my legs. Once it was determined that no PE or DVT exists, I was to be transferred to the OB floor on morning of Jan 17. The baby was discharged on Jan 17 mornings and it would have been easier for us to keep the baby on OB floor. However she does not visits me till late in the afternoon on Jan 17. At around 3.30 p.m. She arrives, removes the Foley and asks me to go home without checking if I am able to ambulate or urinate. I was only allowed to get out of bed once during these 7 days to bedside. When I expressed my hesitation and discomfort on ambulation, she leaves me in the heart hospital room and we had to make the baby sleep in the hospital bed with us because there was no bassinet available on the floor. I was discharged with continuous bleeding and indurations from the incision site and only hours after I was allowed to ambulate after 7 days in bed. She does not even visit me on the day of discharge (Jan 18). After that I had to visit her continuously for 14 weeks for wound care and treatment. Wound drained purulent thick bloody serous material for 6 weeks enough to soak 8 ABD pads per day and there was a big clot over the right hand corner of the corner of the wound. After 6 weeks the drainage changed to yellowish and continued for another 6 weeks. The wound was 13 cm long and an inch deep. I faced great difficulties in walking and urinating during weeks after discharge. Even today there is a 0.5 cm gap from where the incision closes to the point where it meets the rest of the skin.

No comments: